Madgarden and Rocketcat Games have been working on a collaboration project over the last few months and here’s the preview trailer.
Punch Quest is an arcade fighter (like Final Fight or Double Dragon) about pummeling hordes of enemies. Simply tap with your left and right thumbs to jab, uppercut, and midair-slam monsters in a varied, randomized dungeon with branching paths.
Customize your character with unlockable special moves and abilities. Get huge combos and unleash devastating Supermoves. Punch an egg that explodes, while you explode, and inside the egg is a gnome, then YOU ARE THE GNOME, and the gnome explodes after a bee sting.
Wow, talk about boring blog post titles. Yes, I have just submitted Glitch Machine 1.1. And I really ought to post on here more. So, I’ll try. I do have other projects on the go, such as PUNCH QUEST with Rocketcat Games.
Anyway, here’s what’s new in 1.1:
- Interactive controls in the form of two XY pads/sliders, and eight code preset trigger pads. Along with these comes new input variables (x, y, u and v).
- FAST FORWARD and REWIND controls, so you can scrub through your glitchtune in forward and reverse at various speeds.
- PAUSE control for the expression, and combined with the FF and RW buttons, you can now single-step through your expression’s wave output in both forward and reverse.
- Fullscreen visualizations, and transparent overlay modes for all screens, so you never have to be apart from the funky waves.
- Multiple named session saving, so you can set it up just how you like for performance
- Extra MUTATE button so you can mutate code and numbers separately.
- New screen navigation methods for
Here’s a nice lil’ screenshot demonstrating the pads:
Those pads/sliders are configurable, you can set them to be all pads, all sliders, or any combination. Once you include their respective variables in your expression, SH*T GETS REAL. The numbered pads are code presets, so when you touch one it insta-loads an expression without resetting state. You can do some pretty funky switchups with that.
I suspect it will take about a week to be approved… stay tuned. And make sure to send me any future feature requests. I still have a few outstanding requests, but intend to cover them next time.
Finally got Intua audio copy added to Glitch Machine, hopefully some of you guys can make use of that. Submitted earlier this evening, so should show up in the store sometime next week I surmise.
Also fixed a few bugs including the “black boot” that some have reported… basically the custom colours just got all wonked out and everything is black but still working. If you know where the buttons are, you can navigate to the settings screen and reset it, heh. But, this update will fix that issue. You also get some more colours to pick from as an added bonus. The other main bug is one nobody would likely have noticed as it has to do with the update speed of the stack values. However, if you’ve got some tunes that make heavy use of the stack for feedback effects, i.e. lots of PICK and mixing, then your tune is going to sound different now… for better or worse. Well, for better in the long run, because it was a bug.
Finally. Added a few confirmation dialogs, since I’m pretty sure people don’t like to delete or overwrite things by accident. You can also delete exported WAVs from the app, it’s part of the new audio copy feature.
I’ve already got some cool features planned for the next update. You request ‘em, and if it makes sense and I am able, I add ‘em. So fire away!
I just submitted my new app, Glitch Machine, to the App Store:
Glitch Machine is a generative music synthesizer. Expressions are edited live to produce sound interactively. The magic of Glitch Machine’s synthesis is in the BYTE, which wraps a final output value to a number between 0 – 255. The repeating patterns (or chaos) of this ‘wrapping’ produces waveforms and beats.
It uses RPN syntax for livecoding crazy beats and waves on the fly:
I got tired of sitting around all day, every day… so I decided to take the plunge and make a stand-up workspace. After a bunch of my own designs involving 2×4′s and too much cutting and nailing, a fellow tweeter by the name of @spongsalot suggested this particularly simple solution:
It’s all about the pipes, baby.
That’s 16″ of PVC pipe with 12″ of dowel set inside, per leg. Lift the table, install pipe/dowel concoction for each leg, and set it down. Took about 20 minutes to cut everything, and 5 minutes to install. The pipe isn’t even glued or fastened to the dowel, so you can easily disassemble and adjust if needed.
Very clever and simple solution… thank you @spongsalot. It is this sort of useful lateral thinking that will keep your head from rolling once I conquer the galaxy.